What is Epitalon?
Epitalon is a synthetic peptide known as a telomerase activator and a putative anti-ageing compound. It was identified as the active component of a bovine pineal gland extract known as epithalamin. The amino acid sequence of Epitalon is Ala-Glu-Asp-Gly with a molecular formula of C14H22N4O9. It was initially discovered by Russian scientist Vladimir Khavinson, and most of the clinical studies have been conducted at the St. Petersburg Institute of Bioregulation and Gerontology.
What is Epitalon Used For?
Epitalon is primarily known for its potential anti-aging effects. It induces telomere elongation via increased telomerase activity in human somatic cells. This has implications for cell health, longevity, and potentially even age-related diseases. It also stimulates melatonin production, helping to regulate sleep cycles.
What Does Epitalon Look Like?
Epitalon is a tetrapeptide, meaning it consists of four amino acids. Its chemical formula is C14H22N4O9.
How to Order Epitalon?
Epitalon is available from various vendors, but purchasing from reputable sources is crucial to ensure you are getting a high-quality product.
How to Reconstitute Epitalon?
The reconstitution process for Epitalon typically involves dissolving the lyophilized powder in a solution, often bacteriostatic water, before administration.
How is Epitalon Stored?
Epitalon should be stored in a cool, dry place, often in its lyophilized form, until reconstituted.
Epitalon vs N-Acetyl Epitalon
N-Acetyl Epitalon is a modified form of Epitalon. The N-Acetylation often provides several advantages:
- Stability: Increases the peptide’s strength, making it less susceptible to degradation.
- Solubility: Improves the solubility of the peptide, making it easier to administer and absorb.
- Bioavailability: Improved stability and solubility often lead to better bioavailability.
- Specificity: This can alter the peptide’s affinity for specific receptors or its ability to cross biological barriers.
- Reduced Immunogenicity: Acetylation can reduce the likelihood of eliciting an immune response.
Due to these properties, N-Acetyl Epitalon is more commonly used for nasal or oral administration.
Epitalon offers a promising avenue for anti-ageing research, and its modified form, N-Acetyl Epitalon, provides additional benefits that make it even more intriguing for scientific investigation.